Construction certificate

After a Development Application (DA) is approved, a Construction Certificate is needed before building can begin. A Construction Certificate certifies that the construction plans and specifications comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and other relevant standards, the development consent and conditions, and that all necessary fees have been paid.

Council or a Private Certifier may issue a Construction Certificate.

Lodgement Requirements

For more details on what information and documentation you need to provide when applying for your Construction Certificate, please download the Construction Certificate information sheet and the application form.

From 1 July 2020, Waverley Council can accept construction certificate applications online the via the NSW Planning Portal.

All lodgements via the portal must include Waverley Council’s application forms and documentation requirements and be submitted in accordance with the Electronic Lodgement Guidelines, collated and labelled with the correct naming convention. Applications will not be accepted if the digital files are not submitted in accordance with the guidelines.

If your application is been lodged via the NSW Planning Portal, Council will review the application and if all information is submitted correctly, will contact you to pay the relevant fee. Council will not begin assessing the application until all the relevant fees are paid.

If you need assistance using the online service, please view the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment’s How To Guide or contact Service NSW on 1300 305 695 for additional support.

Related plans and applications

Occupation of Council Footpaths

If your construction requires the erection of a hoarding over or the storage of building materials on a council footpath, you must first get approval. Please complete the Occupation of Council Footpath application form.

Site Waste and Recycling Management Plan

You must submit a Site Waste and Recycling Management Plan checklist with your Construction Certificate. It helps you identify the type and amount of waste likely to be generated during construction and how this can be minimised. It will also make it clear to Council how you plan to reuse, recycle or dispose of the waste, both during construction and as part of your ongoing waste management plan.

Soil and Water Management Plan

It is a standard condition of consent for any building site that a Soil and Water Management Plan be prepared and implemented before any constructions begins on site. The plan should detail the erosion and sediment control methods for the life of construction.

Please download the information sheet for more on how to prepare your Soil and Water Management Plan.

Notice to Commence – Principal Certifying Authority Form

Before you can commence approved construction works on a site, you must advise:

  • Council that you intend to start building or subdivision work, and
  • Council and the authority that granted development consent or complying development certificate that you have appointed a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) to oversee that works comply with the development consent and the Building Code of Australia.

Please download the Notice to Commence form for more information.

Related forms/documents

Apply online for e-Certificates

We’re making the application for Certificates quicker and easier with the expansion of our online e-Certificates system.

You can now apply online for:

  • Section 10.7 Planning Certificates
  • Section 603 Rating Certificates
  • Section 735A and 121ZP Certificates.

Apply now