Subdivision certificate

If you wish to subdivide a piece of land that you own (Torrens, Strata or Community Title) you must first get development consent (from Council) or complying development certificate (from an Accredited Certifier) and then apply for a Subdivision Certificate.

A subdivision certificate is a certificate which:

  • Certifies that the plan of subdivision is in accordance with the relevant development consent or complying development certificate (CDC) and
  • Authorises the registration of the plan of subdivision for lodgement with NSW Land Registry Services.

If the subdivision involves any building or construction works, you must have development consent and a construction certificate before you can begin construction.

A plan of subdivision cannot be registered with NSW Land Registry Services unless it has a subdivision certificate, even if development consent is not required.

Lodgement Requirements

From 1 July 2020, Waverley Council can accept subdivision certificate applications online the via the NSW Planning Portal.

All lodgements via the portal must include Waverley Council’s application forms and documentation requirements (which are listed on the subdivision application form) and be submitted in accordance with the Electronic Lodgement Guidelines, collated and labelled with the correct naming convention. Applications will not be accepted if the digital files are not submitted in accordance with the guidelines.

If your application is lodged via the NSW Planning Portal, Council will review the application and if all information is submitted correctly, will contact you to pay the relevant fee. Council will not begin assessing the application until all the relevant fees are paid.

Some legal documents that require Council to review and sign cannot be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal. Such documents may include (but not limited to);

  • Section 88B, 88E and 88G Instruments
  • Positive Covenants
  • Heritage Deeds of Agreement
  • Termination of Strata Schemes.

These documents must be submitted to Council directly via email to An administration fee is to be paid for the documentation to be reviewed and signed. You will be contacted to pay the fee upon receipt of the documents.

If you need assistance using the online service, please view the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment’s How To Guide or contact Service NSW on 1300 305 695 for additional support.

Related forms/documents

Apply online for e-Certificates

We’re making the application for Certificates quicker and easier with the expansion of our online e-Certificates system.

You can now apply online for:

  • Section 149 Planning Certificates
  • Section 603 Rating Certificates
  • Section 735A and 121ZP Certificates.

Apply now