Planning a development

Planning a development in Waverley? We have a range of policies, tools and resources that can help you understand the types and scope of development possible on your site.

Please follow the links below for more information.

Preparing your Development Application

Preparing a Development Application requires a range of specific documents and information to be provided to assist Council in assessing the DA. The information and level of detail will vary depending on the type of works proposed.

For information about what is required, and how to prepare a Development Application, click here.

Development Enquirer

Do you want to see what you can build on your land? Start with Development Enquirer, the first step in your planning process. Simply enter a property address and your proposed works and you will be provided with the information required for the next stage.

Due to technical difficulties Development Enquirer is not displaying the current version of the Waverley Development Control Plan (Amendment No.5 – effective on 14 September 2016). Click here for the current version which is available in PDF format. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and expect to have the system updated shortly.

Online maps

Waverley Council offers public access to interactive maps of the Waverley Local Government Area (LGA), together with community information about local services, facilities and planning controls. If you can't find what you're looking for from our online maps, you can request a custom map from Council’s GIS team.

Waverley Local Environmental Plan 2012

The Local Environmental Plan (LEP) is the principal environmental planning instrument used by councils to regulate land use and influences planning and development decisions within the LGA.

Waverley Development Control Plan 2012

The Waverley Development Control Plan (DCP) supports the controls outlined in the Local Environment Plan (LEP) with more specific planning and design guidelines, including built form controls, parking, biodiversity and tree preservation, signage, heritage conservation and safety.

Policies and guidelines

Council has a number of policies and guidelines that provide additional information and guidance to the controls included within the Local Environmental Plan (LEP) and the Waverley Development Control Plan (DCP).

Superseded plans

Repealed and superseded Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) and Development Control Plans (DCPs) in Waverley.

Access to Information

You may request a building file search for a property, which means Council will search its files for any record of development or building approvals and make it available for you to view.

Exempt and complying development

Exempt Development is minor work which does not require planning approval and therefore does not require lodgement of a Development Application (DA).

More information

For advice about planning your development, our Duty Planner can assist you. This service is available between 8:30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

  • Phone 8305 8484
  • Visit in person at our Customer Service Centre, 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction.

Need planning advice?

Contact Council's Duty Planner

  • Phone 9083 8484
  • Visit in person at our Customer Service Centre, 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction
  • Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm