Change of details

As a companion animal owner, you have a responsibility to ensure that the information on the NSW Companion Animals Register for your pet is up to date and correct.

Please contact Council to correct or update the information on your animal's Certificate.

The owner of an identified companion animal (whether or not it is registered) must notify the Register when any of the following happens:

(a) Any change occurs in the animal details, eg. you change your address, you change your contact details or you sell or give the animal away (written notification must be given within 14 days after the change occurs),

(b) The making or revocation of a declaration by a court that a dog is dangerous (written notification must be given within 7 days after the declaration is made or revoked),

(c) The animal dies (notifications may be made by phone, in writing or in person and must be given within 28 days after the animal dies). Where enforcement action is being taken, then a notification in writing may be requested accompanied by a statement from a vet that an animal has been euthanased or has passed away.

(d) The animal has been missing for more than 72 hours (notifications may be made by phone, in writing or in person). If the animal has been reported missing and is subsequently found, notification must be made within 72 hours of the animal being found.

Local Councils may not charge a fee for changing information on the Companion Animals Register. Council will provide the owner of the animal a new Certificate once the changes have been processed.

Transferring ownership

If you are looking to sell or give away your animal, you should obtain a copy of a Change of Ownership / Details Form from any local Council. This form is also available of the Office of Local Government. Both you and the new owner will have to complete and sign this form. As the 'old' owner, you have the responsibility of sending the completed form to any local Council within 14 days of selling or giving the animal away.

Failure to notify the Register may result in a penalty. In addition, as long as you are the recorded owner of the animal, you may be liable for any penalties or expenses incurred if the animal attacks someone or damages somebody else's property.