Trees on private property

Do you need to prune or remove a tree or undertake works on a tree on your property?

If your tree is any of the below, you will need to submit either a tree permit application or in a very few cases a Development Application:

  • A height of three (3) metres or more, or
  • A canopy spread of three (3) metres or more, or
  • A listing on Waverley Council's Significant Tree Register or as listed in Waverley Council's LEP 2012 schedule 5
  • A tree permit application is not required for pruning of a tree with a maximum height of below 5 (five) metres.

Click on the links below for a diagram of the tree height, width and canopy spread dimensions requiring a permit

Are there exemptions?

Council has a list of exempt trees, follow this link to view the list as well as additional criteria for exemptions.

Which application form should I submit?

a) For most trees in Waverley a tree permit application.

b) For trees located in a Heritage Conservation Area; listed as a heritage item or forms part of a heritage item; or listed on the Significant Tree Register, a Development Application may be required for major pruning works or removal that will have an impact on the heritage status of the tree, item or heritage conservation area.

If you think your tree may fall into category above, please submit a tree permit application in the first instance. However, after initial assessment by Council’s Tree Management Officer, you may be advised to submit a Development Application.

Does the tree need to be inspected as part of a Development Application?

If a tree needs to be pruned or removed as part of a development application it will be assessed as part of the determining process of the development application. A separate tree pruning/removal application is not needed. See the section on Trees on Development Sites.

How does Council assess tree applications?