Filming & photography

In line with COVID-19 public health requirements, please include a COVID-Safe Plan with all Film Permit applications and with all Low Impact Photography (4 – 10 cast and crew) permit applications. Your COVID-Safe Plan will be reviewed prior to the issuing of the relevant Permit.

Waverley Council has a permit system to help manage the high demand of filming and photography requests, making it equitable and to help minimise the impact on residents, visitors and the local environment. The permit also ensures proposed filming and/or photography is suitable for the location, residents are notified where applicable, and that organisations have public liability insurance.

Council approval is required prior to all filming and commercial still photography in public space, on footpaths or roads. No permit is required if activity is on private property.

All filming and still photography should be in accordance with the Local Government Filming Protocol 2009.

Please be advised that unless confirmation email has been received or a permit issued the activity has not been approved and cannot proceed.


  • Bondi Skate Park can only be utilised in school hours: 9.30am–2.30pm and out of school holidays.
  • Please check Pool cleaning schedules for photo and filming shoots.
  • Film makers and photographers should notify relevant authorities, such as the RMS and NSW Police about large-scale, potentially hazardous or any other activities they may need to be aware of.


  • A completed application form must be submitted to Council no less than 48 hours in advance of ultra low filming along with public liability insurance certificate of no less than $10 million noting Waverley Council.
  • Low to Medium Impact filming requires 5 working days notice
  • If your production is low impact and involves less than 10 cast and crew, there is no fee.
  • A crew and cast over this will incur administration and location fees.
  • No film or photography permits are issued for our beaches during the peak summer season (Dec-Feb)

Use of Drones, UAV, RPA (remotely piloted aircraft)

Council’s requirements are determined by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), and you will need to contact the council officer to discuss an appropriate landing and take-off area (30m radius), generally speaking Council’s approval for a drone operator to take up 30m radius is only given in off peak time and in locations that are predetermined by usage of the area

Important Notice for New CASA Requirements

If you fly a drone, or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), for business or use one as part of your job, you must register it by 28 January 2021.

This applies to all drones that you fly to provide any type of service – no matter how much it weighs.

You also need to get an RPA operator accreditation if you fly your drone for business or use one as part of your job. You do not need an RPA operator accreditation if you have a remote pilot licence (RePL).

After 28 January 2021 Waverley Council will require your Registration and Operator Accreditation details and Aviation reference number (ARN) for all filming permits with drone usage.

What are the standard operation conditions (SOCs)?

  • Excluded RPAs, i.e. commercial very small RPA operators (< 2kg) must follow the SOCs.
  • You must only fly during the day, not at night.
  • You must only fly by visual line of sight (VLOS)—close enough to see, maintain orientation and achieve accurate flight and tracking.
  • You must fly no higher than 120 metres (400 feet) above ground level.
  • You must not fly any closer than 30 metres from other people.  The 30m area must be delineated with signage and bollards and tape.
  • You must not fly in a prohibited area or in a restricted area without the permission of the responsible authority.
  • You must not fly over populous areas, such as beaches, parks and sporting ovals.
  • You must only fly one RPA at a time.

For more details on the changes and general information on drone operations in Australia visit

Commercial photography

Applications must be received five working days in advance.

Application process

  • Complete the Filming Application Form or the Photography Application Form and return it to Council.
  • Provide a current Australian Public Liability Insurance Certificate of no less than $10 million noting Waverley Council.
  • For all drone filming and photography a Pilot License from CASA must be attached to application along with a map showing take off and landing with a 30m radius.
  • No film or photography permits are issued for our beaches during the peak summer season (Dec-Feb)

Fees and charges

Filming Fees (as per Local Government Filming Protocol 2009) 
Ultra Low Film (under 10 cast and crew) No fee
Low Impact Film (11-25 cast/crew, minimal equipment, no vehicles) $150
Medium Impact Film (25- 50 cast/crew, max 10 trucks, equipment, no vehicles) $300
High Impact Film (50+ cast/crew, more than 10 trucks, significant construction, extensive equipment, large unit base) $500
Commercial Photography Fees  
Administration fee   $195
Bondi, Bronte, Tamarama Beaches and Park   
1-3 people   no fee
Low Impact  (4-10 cast/crew) per hr $230
Medium Impact (11-25 cast/crew) per hr $295
High Impact (25+ cast/crew) per hr $420
All other public spaces
1-3 people   no fee
Low Impact  (4-10 cast/crew) per hr $175
Medium Impact (11-25 cast/crew) per hr $230
High Impact (25+ cast/crew) per hr $295

Council's fees are set out in the Pricing Policy and Statement of fees and charges.

Parking requirements

Please visit Parking to view Council car parks and the associated metered costs. Note, no application to Council for parking is required for vehicles less than 6m in length (1 vehicle = 1 car space rule) and if it is parked legally within any timed restrictions.
If the production vehicle/s involved are longer then 6m and need to take up more then one car space or you need to stay longer then a restricted timed parking area then please provide a map with your film application showing where you would like to arrange parking permits for.

Things to consider before applying

  • Film equipment: All equipment must be included in your application form. Should you require the use of a camera crane you must submit a safety analysis of the area.
  • Noise pollution: Sound/noise is not to negatively impact on public or residents and Council may require a noise management plan.
  • Risk management plan may be required to show how risks have been addressed.
  • Traffic management report must be submitted if your activity affects pedestrians and management of vehicles.

Contact details

Related forms/documents

Business Newsletter

Find out about business information, events and networking opportunities through Council's monthly newsletter.Subscribe now