Preparing your Development Application

Before you can make changes to a building or occupy premises in the local area you may need to lodge a Development Application (DA). A DA can only be approved by Council (or, for very large, State-significant development proposals, the State Government), and it is assessed in accordance with the development standards established in the Local Environmental Plan and Development Control Plan.

These development standards include “merit” considerations, which means that when the application is being assessed, a building that does not exactly fit the development standards can still be approved “on its merits”.

Wherever a building does not meet either the exempt or complying development rules, then a Development Application will need to be lodged. For further details on how we assess your application, refer to How We Assess Your Development Application page.

The Development Application Guide provides information regarding the Development Application process, including a detailed list of the documents you need to submit as part of your Development Application or Modification Application to facilitate the assessment of the proposal.

Some useful links to documents that you will need to provide with your Development Application are below:

  • Development Application Form and Checklist
    This form and checklist are required to be completed and submitted for all applications.
  • Digital file requirements
    All applications must be submitted with both hard copy documentation as well as digital copies.
  • Site Waste & Recycling Management Plan
    This plan must be submitted with your DA to demonstrate to Council that the requirements for waste and recycling storage and management have been adequately addressed. It will ensure that during future use of the property waste and recycling can be collected in an efficient and safe manner and occupants can recycle as much as possible. For large developments comprising more than 20 units or mixed use premises a comprehensive SWRMP prepared by a suitably qualified consultant may be submitted instead of the SWRMP forms.

    If you require assistance calculating the number of bins and storage requirements for waste and recycling at your proposed residential development, you can use our Waste Calculator which calculates the number of bins required in accordance with the Waverley Council Development Control Plan (Amendment 6).

    You can also view and download fact sheets containing information  about waste collection infrastructure in apartments.

  • Political Donations and Gifts Disclosure Statement
    This statement may be required when lodging a DA or making a submission on a DA.
  • Cost Summary Report
    This is required for development with an estimated cost of less than $500,000
  • Detailed Cost Report
    This is required for development with an estimated cost of more than $500,000 and is to be prepared by a Registered Quantity Surveyor

Other information that may assist you in preparing your application is:

All the forms you need to submit a DA are available on this webpage, however these are also available in hard copy at Council’s Customer Service Counter, or can be posted to you by contacting Council on 9083 8000.

Need planning advice?

Contact Council's Duty Planner

  • Phone 9083 8484
  • Visit in person at our Customer Service Centre, 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction

Electronic lodgement guidelines:

Waverley Council requires electronic lodgement of all plans and supporting documentation in digital form (as PDF documents contained on a CD, USB or similar device).

Download the Info Sheet to find out more.