Developing in Waverley

Planning Enquiries

The Customer Service Centre at 55 Spring St is currently closed to the public until further notice. For general planning information call our Duty Officer on 9083 8484 or email

Application Lodgements

The Customer Service Centre at 55 Spring St is currently closed to the public until further notice. Planning Applications can be mailed to PO Box 9, Bondi Junction  NSW 1355 or can be lodged by appointment by calling 9083 8000

Before you can make changes to a building or occupy premises in the local area you may need to lodge a Development Application (DA). There are a number of steps you need to follow in order to lodge your DA for approval.

Step 1: Check whether your proposed development is either Exempt or Complying Development

Any development that is not Exempt or Complying Development requires a development application.

Step 2: Check whether your land is suitable for the works you wish to carry out

It may be a good idea to obtain a Section 10.7 Planning Certificate to identify the land constraints on your property.

Step 3: Determine the planning controls for your property

When determining what controls are necessary, you must refer to the Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2012 and the Waverley Development Control Plan 2012.

You can also seek advice from Council’s Duty Planner, available during Council’s normal office hours (8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday) at the Customer Service Centre, 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction or by telephoning 8305 8484.

Step 4: Organise a pre-lodgement meeting

Depending on the type of development proposed, a pre-lodgement discussion with Council’s Assessment staff may help you to finalise your DA. This generally takes the form of formal Pre-DA advice.

A formal application, with plans and payment of a fee is required for this advice.

Formal Pre-DA advice can be of assistance where your proposal is of a significant nature or varies from an LEP or DCP control or includes a Planning Agreement.  The advice will usually include a meeting with the Area Manager and will include written advice on the proposal.

Step 5: Complete Development Application Form & Checklists

It is important that your Development Application is properly completed and contains all of the necessary information. The Application will not be accepted if it is incomplete.

The Development Application webpage provides all the necessary information you need to submit a DA.

Step 6: Lodge your Development Application

Applications must be lodged in person at Council's Customer Service Centre between 8.30am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm, Monday – Friday:
Waverley Council Customer Service Centre
55 Spring Street
Bondi Junction

The cost of your Development Application is dependent on the nature of the application and the notification requirements. Council's Customer Service Centre can advise on the fees for your application.

You are required to provide all your DA documentation in electronic format, most of which will be available online for viewing by the public.

Step 7: Development Application assessment

For each DA, Council is required to:

  • assess the application against all the relevant planning controls;
  • consider all the objections and comments made within the advertising and notification period, and
  • determine the environmental impacts of the development and whether or not it is in the public interest.

For further information, please visit the How DAs are assessed webpage.

Council may reject an application within 14 days of receipt if it is found to be illegible or its intent is unclear. In this circumstance, Council will refund the application fee.

You can withdraw or amend the proposal at any time prior to Council’s determination of the application. You must however, provide written confirmation of the amendments or the withdrawal. The submission of amended plans may require the payment of additional fees.

Council has a Development Application Tracking system that allows people to view the current status of applications and certain documents that form part of the application.

Step 8: Council determination

You will be notified of Council’s determination of your application in writing, in the form of a Notice of Determination. Once the DA is approved, it is necessary to check and ensure you meet the conditions of consent imposed.

If you are dissatisfied with Council’s decision, the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act provides a number of options for you to appeal:

  • Seek a Review of Determination ( under s8.3 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979) by Council. The application for review must be lodged and determined within six (6) months of the date of determination.
  • Seek a Modification of the approved plans or conditions of consent (under s4.55 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979). The application would seek to modify those components of the consent which you are dissatisfied with. You would be required to submit an application to Modify the Development consent.
  • Lodge an Appeal with the Land and Environment Court of NSW within six (6) months of the date of determination.

Council is always prepared to discuss its decision in the event that you are dissatisfied with the determination, and we recommend that you speak with Council before requesting a review of a determination.

Step 9: Obtain a Construction Certificate

If you have been granted consent, a Construction Certificate (CC) must be obtained before any building work associated with the DA can be carried out.

You may choose to have your application for a CC assessed and issued by either Council or an Accredited Private Certifier. A copy of a privately issued CC must be forwarded to Council with a registration fee within seven (7) days of its determination.

Step 10: Building Works

Your building works are to be undertaken strictly in accordance with the approved plans and conditions of development consent.

Council cannot issue retrospective development consent to building work started or completed without the necessary approval. The undertaking of unauthorised work may lead to you being prosecuted and/or ordered to demolish the unauthorised work.

Prior to commencing work, you need to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). The PCA is responsible for inspecting the works at various stages during construction and ensuring that the works comply with the development consent. You can appoint either Council or an Accredited (Private) Certifier for this role.

Please visit the Construction Certificate webpage for more information.

Step 11: Following the completion of building works

When the works are completed, the Principal Certifying Authority must issue an Occupation Certificate.

This certifies that the building works are safe and have been completed in accordance with the development consent.

Prior to the issue of a Final Occupation Certificate or an Interim Occupation Certificate, a Principal Certifying Authority must be satisfied that a Final Fire Safety Certificate has been issued for the building. This does not apply to Class 1a (ie. dwelling house) or Class 10 (ie. garage, shed, carport) buildings/structures.

New DA requirements

From 1 October 2014, all building applications submitted to Council must include a CD / USB that contains all forms, plans and documents in soft copy.

Download the information sheet to find out more.

Need planning advice?

Contact Council's Duty Planner

  • Phone 9083 8484
  • Visit in person at our Customer Service Centre, 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction