Planning Enquiries and Application Lodgements
The Customer Service Centre at 55 Spring St is open for payment of fees and lodgement of documentation relating to planning and building applications. For general planning information, the Duty Planner is available for advice over the phone or via email on 9083 8484 or Duty.Planner@waverley.nsw.gov.au
Planning Applications can be mailed to PO Box 9, Bondi Junction NSW 1355 or can be lodged at the Customer Service Centre at 55 Spring St, Bondi Junction.
You may be required to submit a Development Application (DA) before you can make changes to a building or site. This might include:
- building a residential, commercial or industrial building
- making an alteration or addition to a residential, commercial or industrial property
- subdividing land
- changing the use of a building.
For information about how to prepare a Development Application, click here.
Electronic lodgement requirements
Waverley Council requires electronic lodgement of all plans and supporting documentation in digital form (as PDF documents contained on a CD, USB or similar device) when submitting any planning, building and certificate applications including;
- Development Applications (including S4.55 Modifications and S8.2 Reviews)
- Pre DAs (applications seeking preliminary review of a proposal)
- Footpath Seating/Dining applications (associated with an approved cafe' or restaurant)
- Construction Certificate applications
- Occupation Certificate applications
- Subdivision Certificate applications
- Complying Development Certificate applications
- Building Information Certificate applications
- Heritage Exemption Certificate applications
- Documentation relating to an appeal lodged in the Land and Environment Court
The CD/USB will become the property of Waverley Council. Your application will be uploaded into Council’s electronic management system, enabling customers to track the progress of their application online and to provide public exhibition of the application material where required.
Applications will not be accepted if the digital files are not collated and labelled in accordance with the requirements that can be found in the Electronic Lodgement Guidelines or provided without a valid email address. Please ensure you log onto Council’s website and download the Development Application forms to complete before you lodge.
NSW Planning Portal
From 1 July 2020, Waverley Council can accept the following applications via the NSW Planning Portal:
- Development Applications (including S4.55 Modification and S8.2 Review applications)
- Construction Certificate and Occupation Certificate applications
- Subdivision Certificate applications and
- Complying Development Certificate applications
You cannot submit an application for Pre-DAs, Heritage Exemption Certificates, Building Information Certificates or Footpath Seating/Dining applications via the NSW Planning Portal. These application must still be submitted directly to Council.
You can submit your application via the NSW Planning Portal from your home or office or there is a computer available at Council’s Customer Service Centre for you to use the online service. If you need assistance using the online service, please view the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment’s How To Guide or contact Service NSW on 1300 305 695 for additional support.
When you lodge your application via the portal you will still need to provide all of the relevant information required by Waverley Council as stipulated in Councils Development Application Guide and Development Application Checklist.
To lodge your application via the NSW Planning Portal, you need to register for a NSW Planning Portal account to start your application. Once you are logged in as a registered user, you need to:
- Complete the online application
- Upload all the required application documents (forms, plans and supporting documents) which apply to your proposal as stipulated in the Waverley Council’s DA checklist. Please refer to the Waverley Development Application Guide for detailed explanation of the lodgement requirements.
- All documents uploaded via the Planning Portal must comply with Waverley Council’s Electronic Lodgement Guidelines (documents which do not meet the submissions guidelines will be returned and not lodged). The plans are to be to scale (1:100 @ A3) and rotated to landscape. Black and white plans need to be 300 dpi and coloured plans can be at a lower resolution. Photos and photomontages may be provided as JPEG images.
Your application won't be formally lodged via the NSW Planning Portal until it has been checked for accuracy and completeness by Council AND the full and correct fees have been paid. Fees are calculated on a scale based on the estimated cost of development (and also the number of lots in the case of applications proposing subdivision).
It is suggested that you contact Council’s Planning Counter to request a fee quote for your proposal, to ensure that you are aware of the fee that will be requested if your DA is accepted.
Once your application has been checked for completeness, we will email you an invoice and you can pay the fees directly via BPay, or over the phone via credit card.
The application is considered lodged once the necessary information has been provided and the fees have been paid. Council will not begin processing the application until all the relevant fees are paid. Application fees not paid within 48 hours of the invoice being issued will be rejected.
Hard copy plans required for some applications
Applications lodged via the NSW Planning Portal which require review by the Waverley Design Excellence Advisory Panel will still require the submission of 4 x A3 size hard copies of the architectural plans including landscaping plans and photo montages.
This includes, SEPP 65 Buildings, developments with a value of $20m+, new-multi dwelling housing, residential flat buildings, boarding houses, student housing and serviced apartments, mixed use developments, commercial and retail buildings and institutional buildings, significant alterations and additions to buildings in the B1 (Neighbourhood centre), B3 (Commercial core) and B4 (Mixed Use) zones.
Once you receive confirmation that your application has been lodged, these plans must be posted or submitted in person to Council’s Customer Service Centre attention to the Design Excellence Advisory Panel Coordinator.
Electronic stamped consents
Once your application has been determined, the applicant will be emailed and sent a link to download an electronic copy of the Notice of Determination and associated stamped plans/ documents. It is important that a valid email address is provided on your application form.
DA Tracking Tool
Once your application is lodged with Council, you can follow the progress on Council’s website, via the DA Tracking Tool.
Whilst the NSW Planning Portal is available for the submission of applications, Council will still accept applications in person at the Customer Service Centre at 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction. All applications will still have to be lodged with electronic documents following Council’s Electronic Lodgement Guidelines.
Submissions in person to Waverley Council will be accepted for a transitional period with mandatory submission via the Portal to be implemented in the future.
At this time, lodgements are still accepted BY MAIL with a cheque or attached to:
The General Manager Waverley Council
PO Box 9
BONDI JUNCTION NSW 1355 OR: DX 12006 Bondi Junction
By courier or personal delivery to the Customer Service Centre at 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction with payment to be made in person. Our Customer Service Centre is open: Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm . If lodging your application in person, not lodgments are accepted between 1 – 2pm or after 4pm on any day.
How to find out more information:
We have a Duty Planner available between the hours of 8.30am – to 1pm and 2pm -5.00pm weekdays who can answer general enquiries regarding the planning process and lodgement requirements.
During the Co-vid 19 pandemic, Council is offering limited Duty Planning services via the phone (02) 9083 8484 (please leave a message) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your enquiry will be answered as soon as possible given the complexity of the matter. We apologise any inconvenience.
The Duty Planner is available to:
- Provide guidance on what information is required to lodge a development applications (DA) and other planning applications to avoid delays in the assessment process. Applications will not be accepted if information is inadequate.
- Provide information on the DA assessment process and how you can track the progress of your DA. The Duty Officer is not able to provide a timeline or estimated time for the determination of an application.
- Provide information on where you can find Council’s development controls (such as Waverley LEP and Waverley DCP) and provide general assistance with interpretation of the controls. The Duty Planner is not able to provide detailed information on which controls apply to development or the likelihood of any variation to the controls being supported by Council.
- Providing assistance with understanding plans and information submitted with a development application during the DA notification period. The Duty Planner is not able to provide advice on the likely outcome of any application.
- Provide information on how you can obtain higher level planning advice via Council’s Pre-DA process. The Duty Planner is not able to provide advice regarding the merits or likelihood of approval of a proposal.
- Provide general advice on whether a development requires a DA or direct you to where you can obtain this information. The Duty Planner is not able to provide any detailed or site specific assessment or advice as to whether a development meets the provisions as exempt or complying development.
- Provide information on how you can determine the zoning of a property. Due to legal restrictions, the Duty Officer is not able to provide specific advice on zoning of any property.
- Provide a range of other general planning related information.
The Duty Officer is not able to provide detailed planning advice or high level planning information. If this is required, you may need to engage your own planning consultant or legal practitioner.
For more information about DAs, please follow the links below.
- Development Enquirer
- Track a Development Application
- Subscribe to planning alerts
- 3D Modelling
- Apply online for Section 10.7 Planning Certificates
- Waverley Local Environmental Plan 2012 (LEP)
- Waverley Development Control Plan 2012 (DCP)
- Waverley Development Application Guide
- Preparing your Development Application
Meetings held by the Mayor and Senior Staff with Developers on DAs and Planning Proposals
Need planning advice?
Contact Council's Duty Planner:
- Phone 9083 8484
- Visit in person at our Customer Service Centre, 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm