Waverley Cemetery Walk 2
Opened in 1877, Waverley Cemetery covers an area of approximately 41 acres. The Waverley Municipal Council is the cemetery Trustee.
Some of the notable persons buried in Waverley Cemetery are listed hereunder and the locations of the graves are shown by corresponding numbers on the map of the cemetery at the end of this page:
- ALEXANDER KENNETH MACKENZIE (1830-1884) dairyman. Owner and operator of the Waverley Dairy. Mackenzies Point, South Bondi, named after him.
- SAMUEL BENNETT (1815-1878) newspaper proprietor, journalist and historian. Publisher of the "Empire" and "Australian Town and Country Journal", began Sydney's first evening newspaper the "Evening News" in 1867.
- RICHARD DRIVER (1829-1880) solicitor and politician. A chief law reformer, concerned with the development of Sydney, including preservation of Sydney Common (Moore Park). Driver Avenue named after him.
- THOMAS FISHER (1820-1884) businessman and benefactor. His business career ranged from a boot shop to trading ships and hotels. The major share of his estate went to the University of Sydney "to found a library" hence the Fisher Library.
- JAMES WHITE (1828-1890) pastoralist, racehorse owner and breeder. Lessee of the Belltrees property. Owner of Cranbrook, Rose Bay, from 1873. Built Newmarket Stables, Randwick. Owner of two Melbourne Cup winners.
- 6a. RICHARD HILL (1810-1895) pastoralist and politician. Manager of W.C. Wentworth's Vaucluse House estate in 1820's. Owner of numerous pastoral properties. Founding member of Aborigines Protection Board.
- JOHN TAIT (1813-1888) hotel licensee and race horse owner and trainer. Set up stables at Bryon Lodge, Randwick, in the 1860's. His horses won many races including 3 Melbourne Cups.
- WILLIAM DYMOCK (1861-1900) bookseller. The first Dymock's Book Arcade opened in Pitt Street in 1884, and moved to the George Street location in 1890. The new arcade measured 200ft (60m) x 30ft (9m). Became Alderman on Sydney Council 1898.
- JOHN MARKS (1827-1885) agriculturist and politician. Alderman and Mayor of Kiama Municipal Council, and cattle breeder in the 1860's. His Sydney home, "Glenrock", became part of Ascham Girls School, Woollahra.
- JOSEPH DICKSON (1803-1891) businessman. A Councillor on the first Waverley Council, 1859, he was the first to raise the matter of a cemetery in Waverley. Operated a soap and candle factory. Dickson Park, Bondi, is named after his family.
- SIR (HENRY) NORMAN MACLAURIN (1835-1914) physician, company director, university administrator. Medical Officer to the Police Department, surgeon at St Vincent's Hospital and the Sydney Infirmary. Nominated to the Legislative Council 1889. The longest serving Chancellor of the University of Sydney.
- HENRY HUDSON (1836-1907) engineering contractor and manufacturer. Hudson Bros. were builders of railway carriages, manufactured mining, refrigerating and agricultural machinery. Alderman and Mayor of Redfern.
- LEON FRANCIS VICTOR CARON (1850-1905) musical director. Conductor of the Melbourne Opera House and the Lyster Grand Italian Opera Company. Organised the Caron Opera Company. Composed original cantata for the Melbourne International Exhibition of 1880.
- EDWARD FLOOD (1805-1888) builder, pastoralist and politician. Illegitimate son of an Irish convict, he became an alderman on Sydney's first city council and Mayor in 1849. His pastoral empire included numerous areas of Waverley Municipality.
- 15a. GEORGE O'MALLEY CLARKE (1836-1899) gold commissioner and magistrate. Gold Commissioner at Lambing Flats (Young, N.S.W.) in 1860. Presiding magistrate at Sydney's Central Police Court.
15b. MARGARET TURNER CLARKE (1836-1887) nurse and musician. One of the first women to train at Florence Nightingale's nursing college in London. Formed Visiting Relief Society in Lambing Flats after the famine of 1865. Founder of the Home and Training School for Nurses, in Sydney. She was an accomplished harpist.
- 16a. STAN McDONALD (1882-1959) surf lifesaver and beach inspector. Appointed the first Chief Beach Inspector of Waverley Municipal Council. A member of the Bondi S.L.S.C. Awarded the Silver Medal and Certificate of the Royal Shipwreck Relief and Humane Society, and the Certificate of Merit of the S.L.S. Association, for surf rescues. Nicknamed the "King of Bondi".
- SIR JOHN HAY (1816-1892) pastoralist and politician. Squatter in the Upper Murray area. Elected to Parliament in 1856, became Secretary of Lands and Works, also Opposition Leader, and Speaker. The Riverina town of Hay is named after him.
- THOMAS HODGES MATE (1810-1894) grazier and storekeeper. His emporium in Albury grew after gold was discovered and is still the largest in Albury. Elected to Parliament in 1860 he helped pass the Public Schools Act.
- THOMAS BUCKLAND (1814-1896) merchant, pastoralist and banker. Partner of Sir Daniel Cooper; president of the Bank of N.S.W. Grandfather of poet, Dorothea Mackellar.
- HENRY CHAMBERLAIN RUSSELL (1836-1907) astronomer and meteorologist. N.S.W. Government Astronomer from 1870, he began systematic work on star positions and observations of double stars and star clusters.
- ETHEL CHARLOTTE PEDLEY (1859-1898) musician and writer. Founder of St Cecilia Choir and representative of the Royal Academy of Music, and the Royal College of Music. Best remembered as the author of the children's book, "Dot and the Kangaroo".
- 22a. SIR EDWARD KNOX (1819-1901) sugar refiner and banker. Founder of the Colonial Sugar Refining Co. in 1855, and was Chairman until 1901. Helped found the Sydney Chamber of Commerce. His home, "Fiona", became part of Ascham Girls School, Woollahra.
- JOHN YOUNG (1827-1907) building contractor. His contracts included St John's College at the University of Sydney; sections of St Mary's Cathedral; the Dept of Lands building; the Sydney G.P.O. He was Mayor of Leichhardt 1879 and 1884, and Mayor of Sydney in 1886.
- EDWARD HAMMOND HARGRAVES (1816-1891) gold rush publicist. While the three Tom brothers and John Lister were undoubtedly the first discovers of gold in Australia (Ophir in 1851), the legend of Hargraves as "the discoverer of gold" persists.
- MAGGIE OLIVER (1844-1892) actress. Irish parts formed the main part of her repertoire, her favourite role being Paddy Miles in "The Limerick Boy", which required some male impersonation. Critics praised her ability to breathe life into the most wooden of farcical parts.
- EDWARD CHARLES CRACKNELL (1831893) superintendent oftelegraphs, electrical engineer and torpedo expert. He opened the Colony's third telegraph line in 1858. Fired the Colony's first torpedo, at South Head in 1871. Was instrumental in connecting Australia with overseas telegraph systems.
- CHARLES OWEN PEART (1872-1896) high diver. An Englishman known as "Professor Peart, the Champion High Diver". His act consisted of diving from a height of 50 ft into a tank 6ft x 6ft containing 3ft 6inches of water. He was accidentally killed when performing for Fitzgerald Bros Circus and Managerie in Sydney.
- GEORGE SARGENT (1859-1921), CHARLOTTE SARGENT (1856-1924), AND FOSTER HENRY HARTLEY SARGENT (1878-1924), pastry cooks. In 1889, they began selling meat pies in a Paddington shop for a penny. Sargent's Ltd was formed in 1906. They controlled 36 refreshment rooms and shops in Sydney and Melbourne, a catering section, a manufacturing depot and ballrooms.
- ALFRED DAMPIER (1848-1908) actor/manager. Producer of native Australian plays such as, "For the Term of his Natural Life" (1886), "Robbery Under Arms" (1890), and "The Miner's Right" (1891). "Marvellous Melbourne", staged for the 188889 Exhibition was a particular success and concluded with the heroine's horse winning the Melbourne Cup (off stage).
- (SARAH) FANNY DURACK (1889-1956) swimmer. Learnt to swim in Coogee baths. Won gold medal for 100 metres freestyle at the 1912 Stockholm Olympic Games. Between 1912 and 1918 she broke 12 world records and her success did much to promote women's swimming.
- THOMAS DAVIES MUTCH (1885-1958) journalist, politician and historian. Known to genealogists as the compiler of the "Mutch Index", a comprehensive index of early settlers and convicts. Minister for Public Instruction and Minister for Local Government. His reorganisations created the Child Welfare Dept. Alderman on Mascot and Randwick Councils.
- CAPTAIN LEE WELLER ( -1896) sea captain. Weller was a murder victim of Frank Butler who had also killed two other men. "The Mountain Mystery" case was a sensation in 1896 when the bodies were discovered in the Blue Mountains. Butler was extradited from the United States and hanged at Darlinghurst Gaol on 16th July, 1897.
- JOHN SANDS (1818-1873) engraver, printer and stationer. By 1870 as stationers, booksellers, printers and account book manufacturers, the firm of John Sands Ltd. was one of the largest of its kind in Australia. Also printed the Sands Sydney Directories 18581933.
- FRANCIS ROBERT LOUIS ROSSI (1823-1903) landowner. Inherited Rossiville near Goulburn, which was robbed by bushrangers Ben Hall and John Gilbert in 1864. Connected with the Goulburn Volunteer Rifles and Goulburn Cathedral. Registrar of the District Court of Goulburn. Succeeded as Comte de Rossi in 1896.
- MAJOR JOHN BOND (1860-1948) soldier, lifesaver. Served in the South African war with the 1st Army Medical Corps (his name was third on the original roll). Retired from the army with the rank of major. Instructor and examiner with St John's Ambulance Brigade. Pioneer instructor of surf lifesaving at Bronte and Bondi. The Bond family managed the Bronte Baths for many years.
- ROSE ANN CREAL (1865-1921) nurse. Matron of Sydney Hospital, Principal Matron of the 2nd Military District (N.S.W), Matron of the 14th Australia Military Hospital in Egypt (WWI) where casualties of the Australian Light Horse were treated. Awarded Royal Red Cross (lst Class) in 1919. The Rose Creal Medal established at Sydney Hospital. Accorded a military funeral.
- HAROLD MACLEAN (1828-1889) public servant. Gold Commissioner at Sofala in 1852, senior commissioner on the western goldfields 185864. Sheriff of N.S.W. in 1864, Maclean determined to reform the inhuman conditions of the colony's prisons. He banned the treadmill, and initiated identifying prisoners by photographs in 1871.
- FRANCIS O'BRIEN JNR (1840-1922) solicitor. Among the first pupils to attend Sydney Grammar School and the University of Sydney. Francis obtained his M.A. in 1868, one of the first awarded. His father, Francis O'Brien, was the owner of much of Bondi including the beach, until it was purchased for public access. Many streets in Bondi are named after or connected with the family.
- WILLIAM HENRY PALING (1825-1895) musician, merchant. Arrived in Sydney from the Netherlands in 1853 and founded the W.H. Paling music warehouse in Wynyard Square. Founded the N.S.W. Academy of Music in 1855. Organist with Sydney Choral Society. Piano instructor at School of Arts. Mayor of Petersham in 1881. Left an estate valued at 208,563 pounds.
- EDWARD M.G. EDDY (1851-1897) Railway Commissioner. Eddy Avenue, at Sydney Central Railway, is named after him. Eddy extended the railway system, introduced better rolling stock, improved stations, enlarged the tramway network, and permitted the first experiments in electric traction.
- DAVE BROWN (1913-1974) footballer. Grew up at Bronte Beach where his parents ran the surf sheds. Attended St Charles School and Christian Bros. College, Waverley. First toured England with Kangaroos in 1933, playing in 32 games, scoring 19 tries and 114 goals, a tally of 285 points which remains unequalled. He was known as the "Bradman of Rugby League".
- HENRY HOUGH (1804-1880) millwright and farmer. Owner of Hope Farm in Waverley where he built a windmill for grinding corn and other cereal products. These gave their names to Mill Hill Road, Hough Street, and Hope Street, Bondi Junction. The mill was a familiar and picturesque landmark until it was demolished the year after Hough's death.
- WILLIAM HENRY GOCHER (1856-1921) pioneer daylight surfer. At Manly in 1902, Gocher challenged local government regulations which forbad sea bathing in daylight hours. He advertised that he would swim at midday, clad in a neck-to-knee costume. Although he was finally arrested, he was not prosecuted and this forced beach side Councils to allow all day bathing.
- BERNARD THOMAS DOWD (1884-1978) civil servant and historian. Fellow, and Councillor of the Royal Australian Historical Society, member of the Waverley Historical Society. Dowd wrote "The Centenary of the Municipality of Waverley 18591959".
6b. JAMES RICHARD HILL (1836-1898) banker and financier. Worked his way up in the Bank of N.S.W. from junior clerk to President. Chairman of A.M.P. Society, Director of Tooth's Brewery and Sydney Hospital.
16b. BASIL (BAZ) McDONALD (1913-1986) surf lifesaver and beach inspector. Known as "Mr Bondi", he followed in his father's footsteps as a Bondi lifesaver and beach inspector, and the family business of hiring out beach equipment at Bondi Beach. Awarded the Order of Australia in 1980, he took part in many rescues, including "Black Sunday" in 1938.
22b. EDWARD WILLIAM KNOX (1847-1933) industrialist. Son of Sir Edward and brother of Sir Adrian Knox. Began with C.S.R. as a junior clerk, became general manager in 1880. Alderman on Woollahra Council 18871902. Commodore of the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron 18834.
Waverley Library's Local History Collection; The Australian Encyclopedia; Australian Dictionary of Biography.