Occupation certificate

An occupation certificate is issued by the appointed Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) for a development and grants approval for the use or occupation of a building. It is required for any new building work or change of use of a building with development consent or a Complying Development Certificate.

There are two types of occupation certificates:

  • a final occupation certificate allows the occupation or use of a new building (including alterations or extensions), or the new use of an existing building following a change of its use.
  • an interim occupation certificate allows either the occupation or use of a partially completed building, or of a new use of part of an existing building resulting following a change of its use.

If an interim certificate is issued, a final occupation certificate is still required when all building work or the change of use is complete.

Need planning advice?

Contact Council's Duty Planner:

  • Phone 9083 8484
  • Visit in person at our Customer Service Centre, 55 Spring Street, Bondi Junction
  • Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm
Apply online for e-Certificates

We’re making the application for Certificates quicker and easier with the expansion of our online e-Certificates system.


You can now apply online for:

  • Section 149 Planning Certificates
  • Section 603 Rating Certificates
  • Section 735A and 121ZP Certificates.

Apply now