The hilly landscapes of Bondi and Bronte have a number of areas that could be referred to as small sheltered valleys or gullies. They are protected from the coastal influences that limit the success of tree planting; receive greater water run-off; have deeper soils and are more protected from strong winds.
Some examples are:
Blandford Avenue Bronte
Leichhardt Street Bronte
Cuthbert Street Queens Park
Varna Street Waverley
Many of these streets already benefit from having mature established trees primarily because of these improved growing conditions. The streets vary from wide to very narrow with corresponding widths of naturestrips. A number of the narrower streets have a canopy of trees that covers the width of the street
These streets are fortunate to have a high proportion of mature large trees such as:
||Ficus microphylla 'Hillii''
Issues and Considerations
- Many of these streets already have successful street tree plantings and only require infill plantings to consolidate the streetscape
- Some streets may benefit from the replacement of overhead wires with aerial bundle cabling to allow for larger trees to be planted
- A high percentage of these trees are classified as over-mature and many are in decline
- To further enhance and expand the existing canopy cover in these streets.
- To use tree species appropriate to the scale of the street and the width of the naturestrip planting areas
- Choose trees from the accompanying table of trees
- Undertake trial plantings of rainforest species that may be suitable for some streets
- Increase the width of tree planting holes to a minimum of one metre and incorporate quality native soil mix and water crystals
- Determine which streets only require consolidation or infill planting
- Assess the number of streets that would benefit from the replacement of overhead wires with aerial bundle cabling (the bunching of the several strands of electricity wires into one sheathed cable) and prioritise within the aerial bundle replacement program
Preferred Tree Species
Top of Page