Use of Public Open Space
Waverley Council offers a variety of public open space including parks, beaches, streets, malls and cemeteries, for activities including meetings, picnics, sport, weddings, filming, markets, commercial promotions. See our area map.
Management of the use of public open space within the Waverley Local Government Area is regulated by the Local Government Act 1993 and the Crown Lands Act 1989. Management of bookings and usage of the spaces ensures:
- Equity of access to public areas
- Minimal public liability concerns.
Activities requiring permit on public land:
- Busking, which is only permitted in Oxford Street Mall, Bondi Junction
- Organised sport
- A social gathering for groups of over 50 people
- Wedding ceremonies
- Use of any equipment, including, public address systems, marquees, jumping castles etc
- Commercial promotion, which is only permitted on Bondi Beach, Oxford Street Mall and in some streets
- Registered charity and fundraising activities (available sites)
- Commercial fitness training: Fitness Groups & Personal Trainers information
Rules regarding use of public open space:
- Commercial promotions are not permitted:
- on the sand area or promenade of Bondi Beach
- at Bronte or Tamarama beaches or parks
- on the coastal walk.
- Commercial promotions are permitted at Bondi Beach at these sites, however the following not permitted:
- bottled water giveaways (including sample size)
- plastic inflatable giveaways e.g. beach balls
- flyering of pamphlets etc
- full size food or beverage product sampling or give aways.
Top of Page